'Jaina opposite Santhi Nath Temple. Kajuraya', with architectural details
Artist: Maisey, Frederick Charles (1825-1892)
Medium: Pencil on paper
Pencil drawing by Frederick Charles Maisey of a Jaina figure from Khajuraho and architectural details, dated 1845-1852. The drawing is inscribed in pencil 'Jaina opposite Santhi Nath Temple. Kajuraya'.
This drawing depicts the figure of a seated Jain Tirthankara or saint and a pillar with measurements. Khajuraho was the capital of the Chandella dynasty who ascended to power in the 9th century in Central India. The Chandellas were great builders and adorned the site with many Hindu and Jain temples. These temples represent the culmination of the Nagara or North Indian style for their complex architectural schemes as well as the splendid sculptures that cover them which are among the masterpieces of Indian art. These represent various divinities, semi-divine figures, attendandants, musicians, damcers and numerous amorous couples. The temples at Khajuraho are Hindu. Two temples, part of the eastern group, the Parshvanatha and the Adinatha Temples are Jain.