Architectural details, Vishwanatha Temple, Khajuraho, with notes
Artist: Maisey, Frederick Charles (1825-1892)
Medium: Pencil on paper
Pencil drawing by Frederick Charles Maisey of the details of the basement of the Vishvanatha Temple at Khajuraho, with notes.
The Vishvanatha Temple was built by king Dhangadeva of the Chandella dynasty in 1002 as indicated by an inscribed slab found in the temple. The temple is raised on a terrace and consists of a sanctuary surrounded by a passageway, a mandapa or hall, a porch and smaller projecting porches. The mandapa and the porch have pyramidal roofs while the sanctuary is covered by a tower with projections and miniature tower-like elements. The outer walls are adorned by three rows of sculptures depicting amorous scenes. The temple used to be surrounded by four smaller shrines but only two are still standing.