'Pillar of Portico of Large Temple at Kadwaho', with details on reverse
Artist: Maisey, Frederick Charles (1825-1892)
Medium: Pencil on paper
Pencil drawing by Frederick Charles Maisey of a pillar of the portico of the large temple at Kadwaha with details on reverse.
At Kadwaha in Madhya Pradesh there is a group of Hindu temples belonging to the Kacchapaghata period, 10th-11th centuries. The largest of these temple, known as the Murayat, dates from the end of the 11th century. The layout follows a simple scheme while the ornamentation of the exterior and interior is very elaborate. This drawing shows the plan of one of the columns of the portico. The shaft is elaborately carved with mouldings and scrollwork and the brackets are fashioned as supporting dwarf-like figures. The outer walls are decorated with panels housing sculptures of various divinities. Around the doorway there are river goddesses, guardians and amorous couples. The sanctuary is roofed with a tower covered with arch-like motifs and crowned by a round amalaka stone.