'Ground Plan of Largest Siva Temple at Kadwho'
Artist: Maisey, Frederick Charles (1825-1892)
Medium: Pencil and ink on paper
Pen and ink and pencil drawing of the ground plan of the largest Shiva Temple at Kadwaha, by Frederick Charles Maisey, dated 1845-1852.
At Kadwaha in Madhya Pradesh there is a group of 11 Hindu temples belonging to the Kacchapaghata period, 10th-11th centuries, six being Shaiva and five Vaishnava. The principal Shaiva temple is known as Murayat, from 'Mattamayura', a mediaeval Shaiva sect with Kadwaha as one of its main centres. The temple is datable to c. A.D. 1075 and consists of a sanctuary with five offsets, preceded by a small vestibule and a front hall. The external walls are decorated with two rows of sculptures, with the figures of the Dikpalas and sensuous maidens positioned in the wall projections and rampant mythical animals and amorous couples set in the recesses. The sanctuary is roofed with a curvilinear tower covered with arch-like motifs and crowned by a round amalaka stone. The interior walls, pillars, architraves and ceilings of the temple have rich decorative designs.