Pillar at Eran, Saugor District. On reverse architectural details
Artist: Maisey, Frederick Charles (1825-1892)
Medium: Pencil on paper
Pencil drawing by Frederick Charles Maisey of the pillar at Eran, dated 1845-1852. On the reverse there are architectural details.
The sandstone column at Eran, more than 13 metres high, dates from AD 484. It has an inscription on its shaft which dates from the reign of the ruler Budhagupta. The fluted capital supports a square block with seated lions at the corners and the figures of Vishnu and Garuda standing back to back and a wheel positioned behind their heads. Eran was an important Hindu site occupied from the second-first centuries BC onwards and attained importance during the Gupta period in the fourth-sixth centuries AD.