Inscribed on reverse: 'Tin Tal Cave Ellora. March 1847'
Artist: Cobbe, Charles Power (b. 1823)
Water-colour by Charles Power Cobbe of the Tin Tal Cave at Ellora, dated March 1847. Inscribed on reverse: 'Tin Tal Cave Ellora. March 1847 CPC'.
Charles Power Cobbe was in the 8th Foot Regiment which was stationed at Poona and Bombay from 1846 to 1848.
The spectacular site of Ellora is famous for its series of Hindu, Buddhist and Jain cave temples excavated into the rocky façade of a cliff of basalt. The works were done under the patronage of the Kalachuri, the Chalukya and the Rashtrakuta dynasties between the 6th and the 9th Centuries. Tin-Thal is a Buddhist excavation which dates probably from about the 8th century. It consists of a broad forecourt with three superimposed halls extending deep into the cliff. The pillars are square and have simple brackets capitals. The halls were used for congregational purposes and each was provided with a sanctuary with a seated Buddha and Bodhisattva attendants.