View of the interior of Fort William Calcutta looking east across the courtyard towards Chowringhee Gate and Chowringhee Road...
Artist: Wood, William (fl. 1827-1833)
Watercolour drawing of the interior of Fort William in Calcutta by William Wood dated c.1828. The new Fort William was constructed as a result of the damaging attack on the original fort by the forces of Siraj-ud-Daulah the Nawab of Bengal in 1757. It was situated to the south of the city in Gobindpore and designed by John Brohier. The structure is polygonal in form and has extensive defences including bastions, earthworks and a moat. The area surrounding the fort, known as the Maidan, was cleared to provide an unrestricted line of fire. This view looks east across the Maiden towards Chowringhee Gate and Chowringhee Road. The Neo-Gothic church of St. Peter, started in 1822 and consecrated in 1828, is on the left.