East View of Chinapatam
Artist: Home, Robert (1752-1834)
Medium: Ink wash on paper
Ink wash drawing of Channapatna by Robert Home (1752-1834) in 1792. It is one of a series comprising 22 loose drawings together with a map and three plans completed by Home when he accompanied the British army under Cornwallis during the 3rd Mysore War 1791-1792.
In the late 18th century, the Mysore rulers Haidar Ali (r.1761-1782) and his son Tipu Sultan (r.1782-1799) fought four wars against the British over the control of Southern India. Channapatna is a hilltop fort situated between Bangalore and Seringapatam. The fort was built by Jagadura Raja in 1580 as his capital. This territory was bestowed upon him by the Vijayanagara king for the defence of Penukonda in 1577. In 1790, Tipu Sultan dismantled the fort and removed his guns and stores to neighbouring Ramgurry.