Single storied house with portico, Madras, sentries guarding the entrance. A carriage drawn up at the steps and a palanquin in the shade of a nearby tree
Artist: Locker, Edward Hawke (1777-1849)
Water-colour drawing of a single storied house with a portico and sentries guarding the entrance by Edward Hawke Locker (1777-1849) in 1808. A carriage is drawn up at the steps and a palanquin lies in the shade of a nearby tree. The image is inscribed: 'E.H. Locker. Madras. 1808' and on the original mount: 'The Admiralty Gardens at Madras. Edward Hawke Locker delint. October 1808'.
Chennai (Madras) lies on the Bay of Bengal in the north-east corner of Tamil Nadu. It was founded in 1639 when Francis Day of the East India Company acquired land for a warehouse or ‘factory’ which was completed on 23 April 1640. This was the first important English settlement in India and remained the centre of English influence in the East until the rise of Calcutta in the late 18th century. The city was one of India’s major ports and mercantile centres, based around the harbour and George Town, its commercial heart. It has a rich architectural legacy of colonial buildings dating from the 18th and 19th centuries such as this European house.The inscription on the mount does not appear to refer to the house popularly known as Admiral's House, later the Accountant-General's Office. It may have been the house used by Admiral Pellew while in Madras.