'Landour. In the Himmalayahs 1869'
Artist: D'Oyly, Sir Charles Walters (1822-1900)
Water-colour painting of Landour in Uttar Pradesh by Sir Charles Walters D'Oyly (1822-1900) in 1869, made while D'Oyly was Deputy Superintendent, Stud Dept, at Haupper.
Landour, a small village near Mussoorie, in the Himalayan foothills developed as a 'hill-station' following the popularity of nearby Shimla, the summer capital of British India. A convalescent centre for soldiers was established at Landour and the town soon merged with Mussoorie. Many substantial homes appeared, precariously situated on the mountainside, some belonging to Maharajas and others belonging to more humble residents. By 1842 the town consisted of 42 houses, a hotel and five barracks. The clientele for the new resort came from far and wide and it was soon dubbed ‘Queen of the Hill Stations’ due to its spectacular and varied mountain scenery.