Inscribed on reverse: '[In]terior of a Musjid, Ahmedabad'
Artist: Carpenter, William (1818-1899)
Water-colour painting of figures inside a mosque at Ahmadabad, Gujarat by William Carpenter (1818-1899) between 1850 and 1856. Inscribed on the reverse is: [In]'terior of a Musjid, Ahmedabad'.
Situated on the banks of the Sabarmati River, Ahmadabad was founded by Sultan Ahmad Shah of Gujarat in 1411 when he expanded the village of Asaval. As the new capital of an independent sultanate, an expansive building programme was carried out, including the construction of local and congregational mosques, a palace area and square, processional thoroughfares and gateways, and a central commercial zone. The architecture of Ahmadabad, including the style of mosques, is much influenced by local temple construction techniques and decoration. The mosques served not only as places of prayer, but additionally as venues for teaching, legal ceremonies, meetings and discussions, and on occasion as dormitories.