View of the ghat and ruined temple of Walkeshwar, near Malabar Point, Bombay
Artist: Carpenter, William (1818-1899)
Watercolour painting of the ghat and ruined temple of Walkeshwar near Malabar Point in Bombay by William Carpenter (1818-1899) between 1850 and 1856. Inscribed on the reverse and on the mount is: 'Walkeshwur'.
Walkeshwar Temple was originally built by the kings of the Silhara dynasty who ruled Bombay from the 9th to the 13th centuries. Having been destroyed by the Portuguese, the temple was rebuilt by Rama Kamath in 1715. It is dedicated to the Hindu deity Walukeshwar (Lord Shiva) or Sand Lord.