Part of garden front of Government House, Calcutta
Artist: Amherst, Lady Sarah Elizabeth (1801-1876)
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
Pen and ink drawing of part of the garden front of Government House at Calcutta by Lady Sarah Elizabeth Amherst (1801-1876) dating from 1824. Lady Sarah accompanied her father Lord Amherst to India on his appointment to Governor-General in 1823. This Government House in Calcutta was built at the turn of the 19th century for Marquis Wellesley, a previous Governor-General. The architect was Captain Charles Wyatt, who based his designs on Kedleston Hall in Derbyshire.
Lady Sarah wrote: 'View from our wing of Papa's, with his veranda and part of the dome and veranda of the Breakfast room. As this is quite the private side of the house, there are but few people who have the entree, a privilege worth having on gala nights - such are the Chief Justice, Members of Council and the Bishop - the Circle which is planted with flowers and shrubs, has in the centre a beautiful square bason of white marble from Agra and was intended for a fountain, but owing to the muddiness of the river water and the difficulty of raising it, the plan was never accomplished, therefore since our arrival there have been two arches of iron made, to spring from the angles and meet at top and with creepers planted at the foot it has a very pretty effect. In the distance is part of Chowringhee, which extends a great way further.'