A cheetah chasing a deer with huntsmen on horseback and elephant in Barrackpore Park
Artist: D'Oyly, Sir Charles (1781-1845)
Watercolour by Sir Charles D'Oyly (1781-1845), of a cheetah chasing a deer with huntsmen on horseback and elephant, c. 1802. Inscribed on the reverse: 'A Cheeta Hunt in Lord Wellesley's Park at Barrackpore' together with a detailed description of the hunt.
Barakpur is located 14 miles from Calcutta and was originally a permanent barracks. When Marquess Wellesley took over the Commander-in-Chief's residence in 1801, he decided to make improvements to the area. He created a summer residence for future Governor-Generals' and he landscaped the gardens while adding an aviary, a menagerie and a theatre. As a result, Barrackpore Park became a popular place for leisure pursuits, including organised hunts, as seen in this image.