The Nizamat Kila or Palace of Murshidabad, seen from the opposite bank of the Bhagirathi river with the Nawab's barge in the foreground
Artist: Prinsep, William (1794-1874)
Watercolour painting of the Nizamat Kila in Murshidabad, West Bengal by William Prinsep (1794-1874), c. 1830-1840.
The Nizamat Kila, also called the Hazarduari or the Palace of a Thousand Doors, is a palace that was built in the classical style for the Nawabs of Murshidabad by Colonel Duncan Macleod (1780-1856), Bengal Engineers. It was built between 1829 and 1837. Murshidabad is situated on the banks of the Bhagirathi River, north of Calcutta in West Bengal. In 1704, the Nawab of Bengal transferred his capital here from Dacca; in 1757 a series of military disputes between the Nawab and the English East India Company resulted in the rise of English supremacy in Bengal. Although the town of Murshidabad continued to house the residence of the Nawab, it was no longer a place of political power. The Palace is seen from the opposite bank of the river in this drawing, with the Nawab's barge in the foreground.