St Peter's Church, Fort William, Calcutta
Artist: Prinsep, William (1794-1874)
Medium: Watercolour with pen and ink
Watercolour with pen and ink of St Peter's Church in Fort William in Calcutta by William Prinsep (1794-1874) c.1830s. Inscribed on the original mount: 'New Gothic Church in the Centre of Fort William, built by Capt Hutchinson-viewed from the flatstaff Bastion. Tumbrils & gun carriages laid out for inspection Gov. General's house in case of siege. Shot yard-ordnance'.
The new Fort William was constructed as a result of the damaging attack on the original fort by the forces of Siraj-ud-Daulah the Nawab of Bengal in 1757. It was situated to the south of the city in Gobindpore and designed by John Brohier. The structure is polygonal in form and has extensive defences including bastions, earthworks and a moat. The foundation stone of the Neo-Gothic church of St Peter's inside the fort was laid in 1822. It opened for worship in 1825 and was consecrated in 1828. William Prinsep was a merchant in the Calcutta firm of Palmer & Company. He came from a family who served in India for several generations; five of his brothers were also in the country.