Front or North-east view of Government House, Calcutta
Artist: Amherst, Lady Sarah Elizabeth (1801-1876)
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
Pen and ink drawing of the front or north-east view of Government House in Calcutta by Lady Sarah Elizabeth Amherst (1801-1876) dated 1824. Lady Sarah accompanied her father Lord Amherst to India on his appointment to Governor-General in 1823. Marquis Wellesley, a previous Governor-General, had commissioned the construction of the new Government House in 1798. The architect, Captain Charles Wyatt of the Bengal Engineers, based his designs for the new building on Kedleston Hall in Derbyshire.
Describing the building Lady Sarah wrote, "Front or N.E. view of Govt House, the great entrance and flight of steps; copied from a drawing by Edward Hale, taken from a small house opposite (marked in the plan) occupied sometimes by the Master of the Horse, one of the ADC's being near the stables. The windows on the centre floor of the wing No.1 are Edward's rooms, and those above are the appartments occupied by Dr and Mrs Abel. The centre floor of the wing No.2 is the Council Chamber, above it, bedrooms. All the windows have large venetian blinds in folding doors, which are not opened till sunset. In the foreground are some horses and syces, and a gig, to shew you the way in which a draught of air is contrived, when the top is up on account of the sun".