The garden of the Cannings' house at Allahabad
Artist: Canning, Lady Charlotte Elizabeth (1817-1861)
Water-colour painting of the garden of the Cannings' house at Allahabad by Lady Charlotte Elizabeth Canning (1817-1861) in 1858. Inscribed on the mount is: 'Garden of Government House at Allahabad, formerly called 'Lowther Castle'. October 1858'.
Lady Canning joined her husband at Allahabad (Uttar Pradesh) in August 1858 where they remained until January 1859. On 1 November the Queen's Proclamation was read at Allahabad, transferring the government of India to the Crown and appointing Canning her first Viceroy.