'Kurrachee Cantonment from the riding ground on the left of camp. 28th October 1840'. On reverse a military encampment
Artist: Studdert, Thomas (1812-1855)
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
Pen-and-ink and wash drawing of Karachi Cantonment (Sind) by Thomas Studdert (1812-1855), 1840.
In the eighteenth century Karachi was a small fishing village known as Karachi-jo-Goth. With the development of its harbour it gradually grew into a large city and an important centre of trade and industry. The British occupied Karachi during the First Anglo-Afghan War in 1839 and established a Cantonment here. It was laid out separately to the 'Old Town' in a linear fashion; this area later became the basis of the 'New Town'.