The temple above the Yamapuri cave, Mahabalipuram
Artist: Gantz, John (1772-1853)
Watercolour of the temple above the Yamapuri cave at Mamallapuram in Tamil Nadu, by John Gantz. Inscribed: 'South View of a Small Temple on the Southernmost eminence of the Hill at Mahabalipoorum. J. Gantz'.
John Gantz (1772-1853) and his son Justinian ran a lithographic press, but are remembered best for their watercolours of flat-top houses and public buildings in and around Chennai (Madras), dating to the first half of the 19th century.
Mamallapuram, a tiny village south of Chennai, was a flourishing port of the Pallava dynasty from the 5th - 8th centuries. The site is famous for a group of temples, a series of rock-cut caves and monolithic sculptures that were most likely created in the 7th century reign of Narasimhavarman Mahamalla. The caves are all fronted with fine columns resting on seated lions, typical of the Pallava style.