'Chowringhee taken from the Verandah. Bishop's Palace. March 1828', Calcutta
Artist: James, Marianne Jane (b. 1805)
Watercolour with pen and ink from the verandah of the Bishop's Palace in Calcutta by Marianne Jane James (b. 1805). Inscribed: 'Chowringhee taken from the Verandah. Bishop's Palace. March 1828'.
The Bishop's Palace was situated at No.5 Russell Street from 1825 until 1849, in which time it housed four successive Bishops of Calcutta. The last of these, Bishop Wilson, built a new cathedral on the south-east corner of the Maidan and relocated the palace to a house opposite the cathedral. Marianne James, the artist of this work and wife of the third Bishop of Calcutta, wrote: ''Our Palace ... is a splendid house of 3 stories high with a delightful verandah to each storey entirely from one end of the house to the other on one side.''