Russel St. Chowringhee Calcutta
Artist: James, Marianne Jane (b. 1805)
Medium: Watercolour with pen and ink
Watercolour with pen and ink of Russell Street in Chowringhee in Calcutta by Marianne Jane James dated 1828. Russell Street runs north-south behind Chowringhee Road between Park Street and Middleton Street. The Bishop's Palace was situated at No.5 Russell Street from 1825 until 1849, in which time it housed four successive Bishops of Calcutta. The last of these, Bishop Wilson, built the new St Paul's Cathedral on the south-east corner of the Maidan and relocated the palace to a house opposite it. Marianne James was the wife of the third Bishop of Calcutta.