'On the Terrace. Barrackpore'
Artist: James, Marianne Jane (b. 1805)
Watercolour of a view from the terrace of Barrackpore House at Barakpur near Calcutta in West Bengal, by Marianne Jane James (b. 1805), c. 1828. Inscribed on the mount: 'On the Terrace. Barrackpore'.
Barakpur was originally a permanent barracks, but when Marquess Wellesley took over the Commander-in-Chief's residence, in 1801, he decided to make improvements to the area. He commenced the building of a summer residence for future Governor-Generals' and landscaped the gardens in the 'English Style' and added an aviary, a menagerie and a theatre. Barrackpore Park later became a popular place for leisure pursuits. The first storey of Wellesley's proposed grand building was first added to by Sir George Barlow, acting Governor-General from 1805-1807, who converted each corner of the verandah into a small room. Later, in 1814-15, the building was greatly extended by the Marquis of Hastings who added a further storey.