St George's Cathedral, Madras, with carriages arriving at the door
Artist: Gantz, Justinian (1802-1862)
Water-colour drawing of St George's Cathedral at Chennai (Madras), with carriages arriving at the door by Justinian Gantz (1802-1862) in 1849. The drawing is inscribed: 'Just. Gantz Madras 1849' and on the reverse: 'St George's Cathedral. Madras 1849 JG'.
The Cathedral Church of St. George (1814-16) was designed by Colonel James Caldwell and constructed by Major Thomas Fiott de Havilland (1775-1866), Madras Engineers, Superintending Engineer and architect, who also constructed the Madras bulwark and pier in 1822. St. George's form was modelled on St. Giles-in-the-Fields in London. It is broadly neo-classical in style with an impressive columned portico of the Ionic order. The central tower is square in its lower stage and round in its upper with an octagonal spire above. It was consecrated in 1816 and became the Cathedral Church when the Diocese of Madras was constituted in 1835.