Single storey house with blue shutters, sails of boats on the lake beyond
Artist: Gantz, Justinian (1802-1862)
Water-colour drawing of a bungalow in the hills near Chennai (Madras) by Justinian Gantz (1802-1862), c.1830. Inscribed on the reverse is: 'The Red Hills. The Country Retreat of Mr James Taylor - Public Functionary'.
Chennai (Madras) lies on the Bay of Bengal in the north-east corner of Tamil Nadu. It was founded in 1639 when Francis Day of the East India Company acquired land for a warehouse or ‘factory’ which was completed on 23 April 1640. This was the first important English settlement in India and remained the centre of English influence in the East until the rise of Calcutta in the late 18th century. The city was one of India’s major ports and mercantile centres, based around the harbour and George Town, its commercial heart. It had a rich architectural legacy of colonial buildings dating from the 18th and 19th centuries such as this European bungalow belonging to James Taylor, who was a Madras Civil Service in 1795 and a Member of Council in 1828 before retireing in 1833.