Distant view of Udayagiri, Nellore District, Madras
Artist: Dallas, Peter (d. 1806)
Oval drawing in water-colour and ink by Peter Dallas of a distant view of Udayagiri, Nellore District, Madras. Inscribed: 'P. Dallas' and on label on original wood backboard: 'View of Oudagerry from the Southward 1788.'
The Annual Report of the Archaeological Department for the Southern Circle, Madras, for the year 1916-1917 describes this place, "The little town of Udayagiri, ...as it was anciently called, is located at the foot of the eastern slope of the famous hill known as Udayagiri in the Nellore district...The hill rises to a height of three thousand feet above the sea...Its upper portion forms a rugged plateau borne aloft upon immense red and grey cliffs which rise precipitously above the forest clad sloping base of the hill....The plateau is thickly strewn with remains of extensive fortifications and ruined buildings...The formation of the mountain is such that it forms an almost impregnable fortress without any artificial defences...Little is known concerning the history of the fort prior to the 16th century of our era, and the existing fortifications and buildings within, appear to have been erected mainly by Muhammadans who captured and occupied the place in the 17th century."