The interior of Fort St George with officers playing fives and the steeple of St Mary's Church beyond the barracks. Worked up from an earlier sketch of July 1838
Artist: Layard, Frederic Peter (1818-1891)
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
Pen-and-ink drawing of the interior of Fort St. George with officers playing fives and the steeple of St. Mary's Church beyond the barracks by Frederic Peter Layard (1818-1891) in 1842. The drawing is inscribed: 'No.1. Royal Barracks. Fort St George, Madras. F.P. Layard. Sukkur 1842. Sketched July 8th 1838'. Layard arrived at Madras on 6 July 1838 on board the 'John Fleming' en route for Calcutta. The drawing was worked up while he was in Sind.
Fort St. George was built by the East India Company in the 1640s marking one of the first bastions of British power in India and the beginning of Madras (Chennai) as a modern city. Within the fort there were impressive colonial mansions including the house where Robert Clive lived, the Empire-builder who first learnt his trade in this city. St. Mary’s Church was built between 1678 and 1680 by the Governor, Streynsham Master probably to the designs of the architect William Dixon, Master Gunner of the Fort. The church is the oldest surviving building associated with the Anglican Church in the East and contains many monuments from the time of the British in India.