Serampore from across the Hooghly showing the Danish government buildings, and the church, built in 1805. Worked up from an earlier sketch of December 1838
Artist: Layard, Frederic Peter (1818-1891)
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
Srirampur was a Danish settlement from 1699 to 1845 and stood opposite Barakpur, a former military cantonment converted into a country retreat and park for the Governor-General. The Danish settlements were all sold to the East India Company in 1845.