N9 Part of the Ruins of the Palace at Rajemahl, Augt 1820
Artist: D'Oyly, Sir Charles (1781-1845)
Water-colour drawing of part of the ruined palace at Rajmahal by Sir Charles D'Oyly (1781-1845), August 1820. This is one of 28 water-colours by Charles D'Oyly of a trip along the Bhagirathi and Ganges Rivers, dated August to October 1820. The trip must have been to take up his new appointment as Opium Agent at Patna as a letter to Mrs. Jean Macnabb (Mss Eur F206/19) shows him established at Hajipur opposite Patna by 8th December 1820.
Rajmahal is a small town in Bihar situated in a strategic position commanding the Ganges River and the Teliagarhi pass. Formerly known as Agmahl, it was chosen as the capital of Bengal in 1592 by Man Singh, a Rajput general of the Mughal Emperor Akbar (r.1556-1605). Rajmahal remained the capital until 1607, when it was shifted to Dacca. Sultan Shuja, the governor of Bengal, moved the capital back to Rajmahal in 1639 and built the palace here, though by 1707 the capital was shifted again, this time to Murshidabad. The town contains many palaces and mosques which are now in ruins and covered in dense jungle.