Budgerows and a two masted boat in the foreground, rounded and densely wooded Rajmahal hills beyond, with a pir's tomb on the top of a knoll at the opening to the Sakrigali Pass
Artist: D'Oyly, Sir Charles (1781-1845)
Watercolour by Sir Charles D'Oyly of budgerows and a two masted boat with the Rajmahal hills beyond and a pir's tomb on top of a knoll at the opening to the Sakrigali Pass, from an album in red leather covers with a gold stamped border, containing 28 water-colours of a trip along the Bhagirathi and Ganges Rivers, dated August to October 1820. The trip must have been to take up his new appointment as Opium Agent at Patna. Sakrigali is situated on the Ganges at the base of the Rajmahal Hills. The top of the first promontory, which forms the boundary between Bengal and Bihar, is known as the Sakrigali Pass.
D'Oyly arrived in India in 1797 and spent his first few years in Calcutta as Assistant to the Registrar of the Court of Appeal. He was Collector of Dacca from 1808-18 and was Opium Agent at Patna from 1821-1831. Whilst at Dacca he met the artist George Chinnery and became his pupil from 1808-12. D'Oyly was a prolific amateur artist who was greatly admired by the European community. He set up and ran a lithographic press, 'The Behar Lithography', and also formed an amateur art society 'The United Patna and Gaya Society' or 'Behar School of Athens': 'for the promotion of Arts and Sciences and for the circulation of fun and merriment of all descriptions.'