N20 Monument erected by the natives of the Bhaughulpoor District to the memory of Augustus Clevland Esqr. Sept 1820
Artist: D'Oyly, Sir Charles (1781-1845)
Water-colour drawing of a monument erected to Augustus Clevland Esqr by Sir Charles D'Oyly (1781-1845), September 1820. This is one of 28 water-colours by Sir Charles D'Oyly of a trip along the Bhagirathi and Ganges Rivers, dated August to October 1820. The trip must have been to take up his new appointment as Opium Agent at Patna as a letter to Mrs. Jean Macnabb (Mss Eur F206/19) shows him established at Hajipur opposite Patna by 8th December 1820.
Augustus Cleveland (1755-84) of the Bengal Civil Service was Collector and Judge at Bhagalpur. He died at sea on a recuperative voyage to the Cape and his remains were returned to Calcutta for burial in Park Street Cemetary. Two memorials were erected to him in Bhagalpur, one in stone sent by the Court of Directors from England, the other, almost a shrine, built by his native staff and acquaintances. Cleveland's achievement was to tame the Paharia, or hill people, of the Santal Parganahs.