Palladian garden house in a wooded park, the front steps crowned with a pair of classical urns.
Artist: Porter, John Young (1780-1812)
Water-colour drawing heightened with white of a palladian garden house in a wooded park by John Young Porter (1780-1812) in 1811. Two ascetics, and a woman paying respects, stand before the house, one of the ascetics is holding a staff in one hand and extending the other in blessing. Inscribed on the reverse of the original mount, now missing is: 'Holy Men outside Sir Thomas Strange's House, 1811.'
Sir Thomas Andrew Lumisden Strange (1756-1841) was the son of Sir Robert Strange, artist. Thomas was called to the Bar in 1785, appointed Chief Justice of Nova Scotia in 1791, became the Recorder of Madras in 1798 and was appointed Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Madras in 1800 when the Recorder's Court was abolished. He commanded two of the four companies of Madras Militia and effected the collapse of a mutiny by the Company's officers in 1806. He returned to England in 1817 and published 'Elements of Hindu Law', London, 1825. It is unclear where this house was situated. In 'Vestiges of old Madras,' vol III, p.474, H.D. Cotton notes that Strange lived at Brodie Castle on the banks of the Adyar River, but even allowing for later renovations this house bears no resemblance to photographs of Brodie Castle taken in the 1860s and there is no record of its having been rebuilt.