The town of Oochar (Datia state) beneath its massive rock, with the fort and a mosque in the foreground
Artist: Prinsep, William (1794-1874), attributed to
Watercolour, attributed to William Prinsep (1794-1874), of the town of Orchha in Madhya Pradesh, beneath its massive rock, with the fort and a mosque in the foreground, dated 1818. The image is inscribed below: 'The Fort and Town of Oochar. No. 1.' The area is famous for its pinkish-grey granite outcrops of rock. Orchha, meaning 'hidden place', is situated near the Betwa river. Orchha's Fort complex contains the Raj Mahal , the Rai Praveen Mahal and the Jahangir Mahal. The Raj Mahal is a medieval granite bridge built by Rudra Pratap and completed by Madhukar Shah. The Rai Praveen Mahal was built in the mid-1670's by Raja Indramani for his concubine. The Jahangir Mahal was built by Bir Singh Deo.
William Prinsep, an employee of the Calcutta firm Palmer & Co., came from a family who served in India for several generations. After the collapse of the company he worked as an indigo broker, was on the board of the Assam Company, and was credited with the establishment of the Indian Tea industry as well as establishing the Bengal Coal Company and inheriting the Bengal Salt Company on the death of his brother George.