The bridge at Borkhandi near Kotah, erected by Zalim Singh Regent of Kotah.
Artist: Waugh, Patrick Young (1788-1829)
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
Pen and ink drawing of the bridge at Borkhandi near Kotah by Patrick Young Waugh (1788-1829), c.1818. Inscribed below: 'Hastings Bridge near Kotah erected by Zalim Singh, Ruler of that state. It is constructed of Large Blocks of Granite.'
The Rajput city of Kota in southern Rajasthan was founded in the 14th century within the borders of the state of Bundi; it became the capital of an independent princely state of the same name in the early 17th Century. During the reign of the Mughal Emperor Jahangir, Rao Ratan Singh, the ruler of Bundi, gave the small principality of Kota to his son, Madho Singh. The Kota fort he gained possession of was built in c. 1264 by Rajkumar Jait Singh of Bundi and contains the city palace. It is situated on the bank of the River Chambal where it meets its tributary, the Shahi Dehra. In this drawing, a royal procession with elephants and camels is crossing the bridge, while on the near bank some cavalrymen wait. In the early 19th century the state flourished under the tutelage of Zalim Singh, and it was he who built this bridge.