The fortress of Kumbhalgarh in the Aravalli Hills (Mewar)
Artist: Waugh, Patrick Young (1788-1829)
Medium: Ink wash on paper
Pen and ink drawing from the Hastings Albums the great fortress of Kumbhalgarh in the Aravalli Hills (Mewar), by Patrick Young Waugh (1788-1829), c. 1819. Signed on the wash border:' P.Y. Waugh.' Inscribed below: 'Fort of Kommulmair.'
The spectacular Rajput hill fort of Kumbhalgarh is perched on top of the Aravalli Hills and reaches a height of over 3000 feet. Built in the 15th century by Maharana Kumbha (1419-63), the complex extends over 12 km and includes many palaces and gardens. The Fort has seven majestic gates and seven ramparts that are reinforced by rounded bastions and huge watchtowers. Inside the periphery wall there are over 360 temples, a large number of these being Jain.