East view of Bangalore, with a small shrine and a dismounted horseman in the foreground, and cattle grazing beyond.
Artist: Colebrooke, Robert Hyde (1762-1808)
Water-colour, pencil and pen-and-ink drawing of Bangalore (Karnataka) by Robert Hyde Colebrooke (1762-1808) in 1791. The drawing is signed on the lower left: 'R.H. Colebrooke delt. 1791', and again on the mount on the lower right: 'Drawn on the spot by R.H. Colebrooke'. On the reverse of the old mount by the artist is: 'This Drawing was Engraved in Aqua Tinta by J.W. Edy London 1793.' Engraved: 'East view of Bangalore', aquatint with etching, engraved by John William Edy as plates 1 of Colebrooke's 'Twelve Views of Places in the Kingdom of Mysore', published by Thomson, London, 1793-94; second edition, coloured aquatint, published by Edward Orme, London, 1804-05. The plates have the wording 'Drawn on the spot' ... as above, along with 'Engraved by J.W. Edy'.
Bangalore (literally the Town of Bengalu, a type of bean) was founded in the early 16th century by Kempe Gowda and became an important fortress under Haidar Ali and Tipu Sultan in the late 18th century. The cantonment was founded in the early 18th century as a more salubrious location for the British garrison than the malaria ridden island at Seringapatam. By the end of the century Bangalore was a well established and flourishing garrison town. It grew during the 19th century as a military and administrative centre separated from the old town by a strip of open land.