Sections through plan of Gandikotta 509i
Artist: Fraser, Thomas (1776-1823)
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
Pen-and-ink plan of the fortress at Gandikot by Thomas Fraser (1776-1823), c. 1802.
This famous ancient fortress, otherwise known as ‘The Fort of the Gorge’ is situated in the Cuddapah district, Andhra Pradesh in a strategically important position at the head of the Pennar valley. It overlooks the Pennar River 300 feet below and is surrounded by impassable hills adding to the natural defences of the site. The fort was built in 1589 and later captured by Golconda but was subsequently absorbed by the Pathan Nawab of Cuddapah. It was later strengthened by Haider Ali but fell to the British under Captain Little from Tipu Sultan in 1791.