Project for a redoubt on the high rock within the N.E. angle of the lower fort, Gooty
Artist: Fraser, Thomas (1776-1823)
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
Pen-and-ink drawing of a project for a redoubt on the high rock within the north-east angle of the lower fort, Gooty by Thomas Fraser (1776-1823) c.1802. Inscribed on the front in ink is: ‘Project for a Redoubt on the High Rock within the North East angle of the Lower Fort of Gootty to defend the East and North faces of the Present Works- to Command the approach to the North Gate, and Eastern Sally Port, to flank the Redoubt proposed for the North West angle, and Command the interior of the East and North faces of the Lower fort- The rear thin so as to be opened when necessary by the fire from Margooty and the Upper Forts.
N.B. The dotted lines shewing the situations of the proposed 1. Guard-Room 2. Magazines & 3. Watern Cistern.’
Fraser served with the Madras Engineers from 1796 to 1823. During 1802 he appears to have been inspecting and surveying forts in the Ceded Districts of Bellary, Kurnool, Anantapur and Cuddapah. Later in 1803 he became Superintending Engineer of Public Works for the Madras Presidency Division.
The town of Gooty in Andhra Pradesh is surrounded by a circle of rocky hills, on the highest of which stands the fort, 301 metres (989 feet) above the plain. It is approached by a path which winds its way up the steep sides of the rock to the citadel on the summit. The fort, built between 1509 and 1530, was once the stronghold of Murari Rao, a famous Mahratha warrior and ally of the British who joined Robert Clive at Arcot in 1751. The ruler of Mysore, Haidar Ali (c. 1722-1782) seized the fort in 1776 however in the Mysore campaign of 1799 it fell to the British.