A view of Calcutta, taken from Fort William
Engraver: Byrne, William (1743-1805)
Engraving of a view of Calcutta taken from Fort William by William Byrne (1743-1805) after William Hodges (1744-1797). Plate 2 of William Hodges 'Travels in India, during the years 1780, 1781, 1782, & 1783' published in London in 1793. The new Fort William in Calcutta was constructed as a result of the damaging attack on the original fort by the forces of Siraj-ud-Daulah the Nawab of Bengal in 1757. It was situated to the south of the city in Gobindpore and designed by John Brohier. The structure is polygonal in form and has extensive defences including bastions, earthworks and a moat. The area surrounding the fort, known as the Maidan, was cleared to provide an unrestricted line of fire. Esplanade Row runs east-west to the north of the Maidan and can be seen in the distance. This view also shows the shipping on the River Hooghly, a tributary of the Ganges.