A view of Agra taken from the south west
Engraver: Walker, John (fl. late 18th/early 19th century)
Engraving of a view of Agra taken from the south west by John Walker after William Hodges (1744-1797). Plate 12 of William Hodges 'Travels in India, during the years 1780, 1781, 1782, & 1783' published in London in 1793. This view is taken from where the outer moat of the fort met the river. Agra was one of the principal cities of the Mughal Empire. The Emperor Akbar (r.1556-1605) resided here at the beginning of his reign and completed this fort in 1573. It dominates the centre of the city and lies on the right bank of the river Jumna. Later additions were made to the fort by Akbar's successors, the emperors Jahangir and Shah Jahan.