A view of the Fort of Gwalior
Engraver: Byrne, William (1743-1805)
Engraving of a view of the Fort of Gwalior by William Byrne (1743-1805) after William Hodges (1744-1797). Plate 14 of William Hodges 'Travels in India, during the years 1780, 1781, 1782, & 1783' published in London in 1793. The hill fort at Gwalior stands in an imposing position on a long, narrow outcrop of sandstone which rises 300 feet above the surrounding countryside. The magnificent outer walls are two miles in length and 35 feet high encompassing six palaces, three temples, and several water tanks. The fort, which had the reputation of being one of the most formidable in India, inspired the Mughal emperor Babur is to describe it as ‘the pearl amongst the fortresses of Hind’. It lies in the modern-day state of Madhya Pradesh.