Artist: Creighton, Henry (c.1767 - 1807)
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
Coloured aquatint from a painting by Henry Creighton dating to 1817 entitled 'The Tower' or 'The Ruins of Gour'. The ruined city of Gaur was the capital of the sultanate of Bengal from the mid-fifteenth century. Erected around 1487 by the Abyssinian ruler Firuz Shah, the independent sultan of Bengal, the Firuz Minar or Pir Asa Minar is 84 feet or 26 metres high. It comprises five storeys, the first three of which are decorated with chain motifs, while the upper two are covered with parallel borders. On each floor there is a door that faces west. It is hollow inside with stone steps leading to a cupola at the top where there is a platform or walkway. It was originally associated with an accompanying mosque that no longer survives.