East view of the Palace of Oodipoor
Engraver: Finden, Edward Francis (1791-1857)
Engraving of the City Palace in Udaipur, by Edward Francis Finden (1791-1857) and Patrick Young Waugh (1788-1829). Plate 2 from James Tod's 'Annals and antiquities of Rajast'han or the Central and Western Rajpoot States of India' published in London in 1829.
Udaipur is the new capital of the Mewar State (Chitor was sacked in 1567) and was founded by Maharana Udai Singh (ruled 1567-72) of the Sisodia Rajputs. It is located on the east bank of Pichola Lake and the town is dominated by the main royal residence in Udaipur, the City Palace. This consists of an impressive series of buildings in the Rajput style, flanked by octagonal corner towers surmounted by cupolas. Inside the palace is a maze of reception halls, residential suites and internal courts. According to Tod: 'Oodipoor presents a most imposing appearance when approached from the east. The palace of the Rana, and that of the heir-apparent, the great temples and the houses of the nobles, with their turrets and cupolas rising in airy appearance, afford a pleasing contrast with the heavy wall and pierced battlements of the city beneath'.