Ruins of the Fortress of Biana
Engraver: Finden, Edward Francis (1791-1857)
Engraving of the fortress of Biana by Edward Francis Finden (1791-1857) and Patrick Young Waugh (1788-1829). Plate 4 of James Tod's: 'Annals of antiquities of Rajast'han or the Central and Western Rajpoot States of India' published in London in 1829.
In 1818 Mewar and other princely states of Northern India signed a treaty with the British, and Colonel James Tod became the first Political Agent to the Western Rajput States. Along with his official duties, Tod became very interested in the genealogies of the Rajput Kingdoms as well as the art and architecture they produced. Bayana is located on the bank of the Gambhir River, a tributary of the Banganga, about 25 miles from Bharatpur city on a small plain between two hill ranges. There are several old temples in the town, some dating as far back at the 4th century.