Interior view in Cheetore
Engraver: Finden, Edward Francis (1791-1857)
Engraving of the interior view of the Chitor Fort in Chittaurgarh, by Edward Francis Finden (1791-1857) and Patrick Young Waugh (1788-1829). Plate 5 from James Tod's 'Annals and antiquities of Rajast'han or the Central and Western Rajpoot States of India' published in London in 1829.
In 1818 Mewar and other princely states signed a treaty with the British and Colonel James Tod became the first Political Agent to the Western Rajput States. Along with his official duties, Tod became very interested in the genealogies of the Rajput Kingdoms as well as the art they produced. Chittaurgarh, located 110 km east of Udaipur, is the location of the hilltop Chitor Fort, the site where Emperor Akbar (r. 1556-1605) attacked the Rajput rulers of Mewar in 1567 forcing them to abandon the site and relocate to Udaipur. Within the fort there are numerous ruined palaces, towers and temples. This picture shows the interior of the fort with the Vijaya Stambha (Tower of Victory) located on the right. It was constructed in 1448 by Rana Kumbha to commemorate his victory over Muhammad Khilji of Malwa eight years earlier. The tower is visible from miles around, spanning nine storeys, with balconies and an internal staircase. Images of Vishnu and other Hindu divinities cover the walls.