Fortress and town of Ajmer
Engraver: Finden, Edward Francis (1791-1857)
Engraving of the fortress and town of Ajmer, by Edward Francis Finden (1791-1857) and Patrick Young Waugh (1788-1929). Plate 21 from James Tod's 'Annals and antiquities of Rajast'han or the Central and Western Rajpoot States of India' published in London in 1829.
The town of Ajmer is situated next to the Ana Sagar Lake at the foot of Taragarh Hill, which rises 870 metres above sea level. The Fort at Ajmer is a rectangular fortress with large corner bastions and thick walls that is believed to have been built by Ajairaj in the early 12th century, when the city became the capital of the Chauhan Rajputs. It was sacked by Muhammad Ghuri in 1193 and later fell to the rulers of Mewar, followed by the rulers of Malwa before it was annexed by the Muhgal Emperor Akbar (r.1556-1605) in 1556. After the collapse of the Mughal Empire the city fell to Jodhpur, then to the Marathas before it was annexed by the British in 1818.