Bridge of Noorabad
Engraver: Finden, Edward Francis (1791-1857)
Engraving of the Bridge of Noorabad, by Edward Francis Finden (1791-1857) and Patrick Young Waugh (1788-1829). Plate 24 from James Tod's: 'Annals and antiquities of Rajasth'an or the Central and Western Rajpoot States of India' published in London in 1829.
In 1818 Mewar and other princely states of Northern India signed a treaty with the British, and Colonel James Tod became the first Political Agent to the Western Rajput States. Along with his official duties, Tod became very interested in the genealogies of the Rajput Kingdoms as well as the art they produced. Noorabad (or Nurabad) was founded in the early 17th century. The bridge over the river Kuwari, seen in this engraving, is located near Piparsa and was built by Motimad Khan. Of this site, Tod wrote: 'The Taili-ca-Pool, or 'Oilman's Bridge' at Noorsbad, is...a magnificent memorial of the trade...These Tailis (oilmen) perambulate the country with skins of oil on a bullock, and from hard-earned pence erect the structures which bear their name.'