Temples of Gunga Bheou in the forest of Puchail in Mewar
Engraver: Finden, Edward Francis (1791-1857)
Engraving of the temples of Gunga Bheou in the forest of Puchail in Mewar by Edward Francis Finden (1791-1857) after Patrick Young Waugh (1788-1829) plate 9 of the 'Annals and antiquities of Rajast'han or the Central and Western Rajpoot States of India' published in London in 1832.
Tod wrote, 'Ganga-bheva, or 'the circle of Ganga', appears to have been selected as a retreat for the votaries of Mahadeva, from its being a little oasis in this rock bound valley. The temple dedicated to the creative power...stands in the centre of a quadrangle of small shrines. The body of the chief temple has been destroyed except the portico. Its columns are fluted and the entablature exhibits a profusion of rich sculpture. In front of the temple is a circular basin, always overflowing, and whence the term bhevo or bheo, a circle, added to the name of the spring, which is feigned to be emanation of the Ganga.'