Temples of Gunga Bheou
Engraver: Finden, Edward Francis (1791-1857)
Engraving of the temples of Gunga Bheou by Edward Francis Finden (1791-1857) and Patrick Young Waugh (1788-1829). Plate 10 of the 'Annals and antiquities of Rajast'han or the Central and Western Rajpoot States of India' published in London in 1832.
In 1818 Mewar and other princely states of Northern India signed a treaty with the British, and Colonel James Tod became the first Political Agent to the Western Rajput States. Along with his official duties, Tod became very interested in the genealogies of the Rajput Kingdoms as well as the art and architecture they produced. Of this site, Tod wrote: 'The chief temple...is many centuries more recent than those which surrounds it.' He described the smaller shrine that surrounds the main temple by adding: 'The doors of those which possess an enclosed sanctum, face inwards towards the larger shrine: and each has a simple low altar, on which are ranged the attendant divinities of Mahadeva.'