Ancient columns in the Mokundra pass
Engraver: Finden, Edward Francis (1791-1857)
Engraving of the columns at the Mokundra (Mukandwara) Pass by Edward Francis Finden (1791-1857) and Patrick Young Waugh (1788-1829). Plate 18 of the 'Annals and antiquities of Rajast'han or the Central and Western Rajpoot States of India' published in London in 1832.
In 1818 Mewar and other princely states of Northern India signed a treaty with the British, and Colonel James Tod became the first Political Agent to the Western Rajput States. Along with his official duties, Tod became very interested in the genealogies of the Rajput Kingdoms as well as the art and architecture they produced. The Mukandwara Pass is situated 25 miles south of Kota and cuts through the mountain range at 1500 feet above sea level. At this location, there is a dilapidated structure that may date as far back as the 5th century, yet there is no inscription to corroborate. The ruins of a columned mandapa (hall) with elaborately carved lintels and consoles are all that remain. The columns are 10 feet high and are decorated with animal and foliate motifs.